Abbeyville House
  Reservation Availability Calendar Guest Reviews Location Information
Book now
Abbeyville House, unlike any Hotel or Guesthouse, is a welcoming family home where the combination of home cooked breakfasts, excellent central location, town house accommodation and warm hospitality make for an unforgettable experience. Nestled just metres from the centre of the picturesque North Cork town of Fermoy, County Cork and the banks of the imposing River Blackwater and adjacent to the parklands of the town park and leisure centre and to the local pubs and restaurants.

A boutique stile Bed & Breakfast operated by Sean and Mary Lomasney and is one of the most historic buildings in Fermoy town, built in 1841 and was the subject of a remarkable restoration programme in 2005.Abbeyville House has achieved many awards including the top honours of a Five Star rating from Failte Ireland (Ireland’s Tourist Board). It is listed on many top guides and has achieved the “Highly Recommended as a Special Place to Stay and The Best of the Best” accolades in 2012 with Georgina Campbell’s Ireland. Abbeyville House has also achieved a place within the top 10% for its star rating and has won an AA highly commended award for guest accommodation for 2010/2011

Our six newly renovated ensuite bedrooms offer guests a choice of deluxe double, twin, single and family accommodation with satellite TV, wireless and ethernet internet access in every room and private off street parking. So whether your stay is for business or pleasure you will find Abbeyville House your ideal destination for your accommodation.
Rooms
Double Room
Room with a Double Bed with En Suite facilities, all rooms have free wireless internet access and satellite television as standard.Tea and coffee making facilities available on request.

At most 2 People can stay

Room Details:
Bathroom with shower, Cribs, Desk, Full-length mirror, Hairdryer, Internet access, Vanity mirror, Plan of emergency exits, Satellite TV, Sound-proofed windows, Remote control TV, High ceiling, Openable windows, Wireless internet, Garden view, Park view, Street view

Family Room
Room with a Double and Single Bed with En Suite facilities, all rooms have free wireless internet access and satellite television as standard. Second single/cot bed may be placed in this room if required. Tea and coffee making facilities available on request.

At most 4 People can stay

Room Details:
Bathroom with shower, Cribs, Desk, Full-length mirror, Hairdryer, Internet access, Vanity mirror, Plan of emergency exits, Satellite TV, Sound-proofed windows, Remote control TV, High ceiling, Openable windows, Wireless internet, Garden view, Park view, Street view

Twin Room
Room with two Single Beds with En Suite facilities, all rooms have free wireless internet access and satellite television as standard. Tea and coffee making facilities available on request.

At most 2 People can stay

Room Details:
Bathroom with shower, Cribs, Desk, Full-length mirror, Hairdryer, Internet access, Vanity mirror, Plan of emergency exits, Satellite TV, Sound-proofed windows, Remote control TV, High ceiling, Openable windows, Wireless internet, Garden view, Park view, Street view

Ambiance
History:

Abbeyville House was built in 1841 by Mathias Hendley who was the agent for the local landlord, a Scotsman by the name of Sir Robert Abercromby. The house was built just 30 years after the modern town of Fermoy was established by another Scotsman and entrepreneur, John Anderson. Only a handful of structures in Fermoy – including Christchurch and St Patrick’s Church are older.

Abbeyville is one of a pair of houses built on the site which Hendley purchased from Sir Robert in 1839, hence the address Abercromby Place, with Riverdale House located just metres to the north. In the 1930s Abbeyville House, which was then called St. Annes was converted from a private dwelling to a private nursing and maternity home. In 1942 its operator Margaret Fitzgerald purchased the house outright form the descendants of the original owner, Matthias Hendley. Many of the local people have fond memories of the house as many of them and their siblings’ were born here during its time and it remained a Maternity home until the mid 1960s when the last baby born was delivered there in 1964.During this time they also performed minor operations on patients such as appendicitis and tonsillitis removals.


The property then changed hands in 1976 when Jeremiah O’Mahony turned the property into a guest house. Within a few short years it was then taken over in 1981 by John and Catherine Buckley who continued to operate it as a guest house and then in mid 2004, sold it to its present owners, Sean and Mary Lomasney. Sean is a noted handyman and he and his father, James Lomasney personally supervised the loving restoration of Abbeyville House to bring in back to its 19th century glory. They reopened the guest house in 2006 and have now established itself as a premier destination with holidaymakers and business clients alike.


Family:

Sean, Mary and the Lomasney family want you to feel at home at Abbeyville – because, well, it is their home too.

Sean is a native of Kilworth – just 6km from Fermoy – and Mary hails from Lisavaird, Clonakilty in West Cork. They live in the ground floor section of Abbeyville House along with their three children, Rachel, Emma, Michelle. The older girls are often seen in the hallways and dining rooms helping out with breakfast – so don’t be afraid to say ‘hello’ and get their advice on the best attractions locally. All three girls go to school in the local schools and are keenly involved in sport and are members of Fermoy GAA Club and Kilworth Tennis Club. Michelle the youngest girl is regularly heard in the lounge playing and practising her piano.

Sean and Mary are keen sailors and regularly races in club events in their nearby Club in Kinsale and Sean is also involved with Fermoy Rugby Club having played with them for many years and is currently a member of the club’s committee.

Location
Located directly across the road from the beautiful town park at Abercromby Place, the B&B is within sight of the River Blackwater which is famed worldwide for its fishing and angling as well as its boating activities. In fact, such is the reputation of the Blackwater that it was dubbed “the Irish Rhine” in the 18th Century.

Little wonder then that the ‘Lord of the Dance’ Michael Flatley opted to purchase a home in Fermoy at the magnificent Castlehyde Estate overlooking the River Blackwater just 4km upstream.

Abbeyville House is ideally located for all the major attractions in Fermoy, close to and within easy walking to Fermoy GAA, Rugby, Soccer and Pitch and Putt Clubs as well as being adjacent to the Avondhu Way which forms part of the Munster way walking trail, Corrin Hill and Barnane`s leafy walks – not to mention slightly further afield, after an easy drive to Cork itself (Blarney Castle, Fota Island Wildlife and Golf Coarse, Cobh Heritage Centre, Cork city Jail, Midleton home of the famous Jameson Distillery and Gourmet and sailing town of Kinsale).The local bus stops and taxi service are within easy walking distance of the front door.


The House is also located in the heart of some of the best and most fertile region of Munster and has a huge agricultural tradition with dairy farms abundant as well as some of the finest stud farms in the country and is only a short drive from Cork Racecourse which is located in Mallow.

The location is also very attractive to business guests who may want to visit such places as An Teagase (the Agricultural Institute) in Moorepark, Sanmina SCI, Micro Bio Ireland, Silver Pale Dairies, Veolia Environmental Services and many other businesses in the area. The house is ideally suited to anyone who will be visiting the Corrin Events Centre at Cork Marts in Fermoy.

The House is also just a few minutes walk from some renowned restaurants which offer fine French (La Bigoudenne), Italian (Bella Café), Chinese (Hong Kong, Happy Chan), Thai (Thai Lanna), Indian (Raj) and Irish (Grand Hotel & Forge Restaurant) cuisine and if all that dining brings on a thirst, some of the best pubs in Ireland are within easy reach of Abbeville’s door.

All bedrooms were refurbished as part of the award-winning restoration project undertaken when the current owners Sean and Mary Lomasney, took over Abbeyville in 2004 and now the B&B offers its Guests a choice of deluxe double, twin, single and family rooms – all of which are en suite and offer satellite television and modern facilities including free wireless internet access in all our rooms, with tea and coffee served on arrival. It also offers an exclusive spacious residents lounge and library with open fire for our guests to enjoy in a wonderful relaxing atmosphere

The B&B also offers private, off-street car parking for guests – and delicious home cooked breakfast served each morning by Mary, which is heavily influenced by the very best of local produce including homemade breads, free range eggs and fish, which has become famous in its own right. Infant cots and high chair are available on request and there is a no smoking policy in operation in the house.

Sean and Mary also take pride in the warm Irish welcome accorded to guests and the advice and facilities they can provide to ensure even the most demanding of trips or the most last minute of holidays becomes as memorable as it is enjoyable.

Whatever your needs or travel plans, Sean and Mary at Abbeyville House aim to prove itself one of the best stopovers on your itinerary.

All major credit cards are accepted on your departure.
Surroundings and Attractions
Town:

Fermoy is rightly considered one of Ireland’s most beautiful towns having made the most of its location astride the River Blackwater. Famed for its magnificent limestone bridge, the town is actually one of Ireland’s most modern having been established in its current form in the early 1800s.

However, segments of the town trace its history back over 1,000 years earlier to when St Finnchua founded a monastery locally in the 7th Century. A major Cistercian abbey was founded in Fermoy just off the current Barnane Walk in the early 12th century as the Norman influence was heavily felt in the area.

Fermoy was located in the territory of the O’Keeffe clan – and their coat of arms is now the official crest of Fermoy. In the 16th Century – following the Tudor’s dissolution of the monasteries the lands locally were awarded to Sir Richard Grenville a cousin of Sir Walter Raleigh who received his land grants in Youghal. However, Grenville sold off his lands a few years later to Sir Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork.

Until 1687, Fermoy had depended on either a wooden bridge or a ferry for river crossings but a 13 arch stone bridge arrived that year after being debated for decades.

After passing through inheritance through varies families, the local lands finally arrived in the hands of Scots businessman, John Anderson.

The Scot had first arrived in Cork in 1780 and his business interests flourished. He became one of the pioneers of the mail coach network and Cork’s booming import and export business. He then purchased lands in Fermoy from the Forward family and never one to miss an opportunity, realised that Britain’s militarisation of Ireland following the French revolution meant new army bases and barracks would be needed in Ireland.

The British government were negotiating for land in Kilworth but were haggling over the price. Anderson, realising the opportunity, offered a land bank in Fermoy to the army free gratis. The offer was accepted and the Scot was in prime position to cash in on the army’s supply needs once the massive new barracks were completed. Two major barracks were constructed by 1809, but were destroyed in 1922. The old barracks is now the site of the Fermoy GAA and Pitch & Putt Club and the new barracks is now the site of the Rugby Club.

From being described as a humble village in the 1770s, Fermoy was now one of the most important towns in Cork and one of the fastest expanding in Ireland. Until Ireland’s independence, Fermoy remained one of the key British military installations in the entire country.

After the War of Independence, Fermoy was a key Irish military base until Fitzgerald Camp was finally closed as part of the defence cutbacks in 1998. The current Queen of Peace Catholic church was developed in the old Fitzgerald Camp chapel.

Today Fermoy is a thriving town with lots of business firms and visitor attractions such as military, ecclesiastic or even some sporting activities on the river Blackwater for some salmon fishing or perhaps a round of golf at the Fermoy Golf club.

Fermoy so long a key stop on the Dublin to Cork road was finally bypassed with the opening of the M8 motorway and new motorway bridge in 2006 and is now a heaven and undiscovered jewel in the Munster region.
Dining
Sample Breakfast menu

Breakfast served from 8.00am to 10.00am

Please choose from our breakfast buffet which includes

Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice

Apple Juice

Grapefruit Segments

Fresh Fruit

Selection of Yoghurts

—————————————————

Selection of Cereals

Muesli

Cornflakes

Rice krispies

Weetabix

Porridge cooked to order

————————————————–

Abbeyville Special: Bacon, Egg, Sausage, Tomato& Clonakilty Black Pudding

Full Irish: Bacon, Egg, Sausage & Tomato

Scrambled Eggs & Bacon with Grilled Tomato

Scrambled Eggs with smoked Salmon

Poached Eggs & Bacon with Grilled Tomato

Omelette made to order

Araglen Valley Trout with Grilled Tomato & Lemon Wedge

Mary’s Homemade Brown Bread and Toast

Tea/ Coffee

—————————————————————

Failte/ Welcome
Languages : English العربية Български Català 简体中文 Deutsch Ελληνικά Español Français हिन्दी Magyar Indonesia Italiano 日本語 한국어 Nederlands Polski Português Русский Slovenských Svenska ภาษาไทย Türkçe Việt 繁體中文
Mobile Low Bandwidth Version

All the transactions you have made through Reseliva are encrypted and secured by 128 bit GlobalSign SSL. If you wish to verify our certificate please click GlobalSign logo below.
powered by Reseliva Booking Engine